We believe the cradle is the best product on the market for safely and easily launching
and exiting your kayak.
- The material from which it is made (aluminum pipe, iron pins, ss nuts and bolts, and water-sealed 2x4's) is much more durable than the materials used in many competitive products. There are no moving parts to wear out, and there is no soft or flimsy material used, so that the life expectancy of the cradle is much longer than for other competitive products.
- Very little maintenance is required. If the iron pins are dipped in metal paint at the end or beginning of each season and new water-seal is added to the 2x4’s every second year, the cradle will outlive most of us (and our grandchildren). This maintenance involves only a few minutes each year.
- The fact that the cradle is rotated up onto the top of the dock when it is not in use means that it does not get beat up by rough water. Competitive products which stay in the water beside the dock are inevitably deteriorated by stormy weather.
- The dock-side cradle has several advantages over competitive products. It is easily moved and stored for winter compared to heavier and more bulky products. It is very durable, being made primarily from cedar 2"x4"s, aluminum pipe, aluminum flat bar and stainless steel nuts and bolts. It has a much longer life-span than products made from less durable material or products with moving parts. It is also easier to use than products that require the user to navigate a steep incline from the water to the top of the dock.
- Competitive products which launch the kayak from the top of the dock have the difficult problem of getting the kayak back to the top of the dock from the water. With the cradle it is a simple matter to navigate the kayak into or out of the cradle.
- Lifts are available but they are expensive, and the moving parts result in a much shorter life expectancy. Lifts are also inconvenient to
have to use every time you decide to go kayaking.
- When it comes to winter storage, the cradle is easily detached from the dock and requires much less storage space than many competitive products. The cradle is light being made primarily from aluminum bar and cedar
wood. It can be transported from the dock to winter storage by one
- The smooth, cedar, water-sealed 2x4’s do not mark the kayak when it is being slid in and out of the cradle. No abrasion on fiberglass kayaks has been found after two full seasons of use.
- The cradle is tailor-made to suit the launching of a kayak from your particular dock. To manufacture the cradle you need, we must obtain 5 pieces of information:
- whether the dock is fixed or floating
- the length of the dock
- the distance from the top of the dock to the water
- whether the cradle is to be attached to the left or right side of the dock (as you face the water)
- whether there are one or two side-by- side 2x6's around the top edge of the dock
(we will use either two inch or three inch ss lag bolts for attaching the cradle to the dock depending on the thickness of the wood to which it is attached.)